Matt,

Maybe a good analogy is advertising on TV versus advertising at the movies. Broadcast TV is free (sort of), so you expect to see ads. Plus you can change the channel or turn off the sound if you don't like the ads.

But if I've just paid $10 to see a movie, I feel heartily abused when I'm forced to sit through advertising. Not only have I paid for the privilege, but I can't turn them off or change the channel -- I'm a captive audience.

Amazon is a retail store, so I expect them to be pushing merchandise at me. Similarly iTunes. But a desktop application is usually something I'm paying to use. Even if it's free, like Quicktime, it's a linear, captive experience. I'd say the worst of all is when I feel like the vendor is deliberately slowing down the experience so that they can stuff more ads in. Like when I'm on hold with my credit card company.

This is all purely anecdotal, of course. But my guess is that the perception of choice plays a large part in how consumers feel about ads. That, and perceived value.