David,

Here's a link to a paper by Jiajie Zhang and others where they extend
heuristic evaluation and task analysis a bit with ideas from
distributed cognitive task theory (from earlier work by Zhang and Don
Norman) for the medical device domain; e.g. they analyze infusion pump
interfaces in the paper. There are newer papers by Zhang on his site,
but many are pay-for-access such as ACM Portal.

Zhang, J., Patel, V. L., Johnson, T. R., Chung, P., & Turley, J. P.
(2005). Evaluating and predicting patient safety for medical devices
with integral information technology. In K. Henriksen, J. B. Battles,
E. Marks & D. I. Lewin (Eds.), Advances in Patient Safety: From
Research to Implementation (pp. 323-336). Rockville, MD: Agency for
Healthcare Research and Quality.

Zhang's research publications page:
http://acad88.sahs.uth.tmc.edu/research/research.htm

PDF of the paper: