How many of you are Mac users? Where do you have your Dock -- left, bottom, right? (I don't ask this of Windows users because I pretty much never see the Taskbar on the sides, probably due to the vastly different appearance when it is there rather than at the bottom.)

Why is there a difference (if there is) is how you think website navigation setup should be and how you personally have your desktop navigation set up?

Me, I have my Dock on the right. Content -- the docs I'm working on at the time -- are the important stuff, and navigation to other apps and the like are secondary, the stuff my vision passes to last. (For the same reason, my Dock isn't n the bottom. Eats up too much of the content area!) In parallel, for web sites and such where the user is going to be dealing with content for an extended period of time, I prefer navigation to the right; on sites where moving around and through the site is the chief activity rather than immersing in content, navigation on the left tends to work better, to my thinking.

Of course, ultimately, it only takes a couple seconds to evaluate where the navigation is on any decent site and adapt to it. The practical gain in efficiency of one location over the other isn't that significant except where the user is going to be immersed for a really long time -- in an app, not a site -- and in those cases, the user can usually control some of the location details..

-- JIm