thedailybeast.com has article titles anchoring themselves to the top
of the page. Not navigation, but thats the effect you were looking
for, right?

For me, it is distracting. I see a flickering effect in my peripheral
vision every time I scroll the page down. My focus is lost briefly,
but repeatedly. When all I want to do is continue reading an article
-- I wouldn't scroll down unless the content was interesting -- this
little bugger keeps reminding me what the title of it is.

Aside from the physical distraction of the peripheral flicker, for me,
the effect also sets in motion a chain of thoughts along the lines of
"that is a very bright red they've chosen for the headline ... The
designers really wanted it to be noticed ... Red means danger also
lipstick red and chinese weddings ... they care more about branding
their site than my experience ... Black and white and Red/read all
over ... Look at how it keeps coming back even after I scroll away
from it ... I wonder if there is a way to turn that off ... I wonder
if this would be readable if I printed it out ... Its a pretty font
..."

But maybe I'm not the typical reader.

-- Darlene Pike

On 10/13/08, Jeff Hendy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The end result of a fixed menu seems quite similar to a menu in a frame.
> I'm always hearing that frames should be avoided, so what's the difference
> here?  Is it all in the technical implementation of frames vs CSS rather
> than being a design issue?
>
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:24 PM, William Brall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> If you wish to build one of these, google "position:fixed" This is a
>> CSS property that will enable you to make fixed menus and such. I want
>> to see more of these on the web. They make sense.

Darlene Pike / Pike Design

Web coding for technically challenged visionaries™

web: www.PikeDesign.com
ph: 973-600-7113