There are many reasons to twitter. I made mine clear some while ago in this
tumblr posting:

Why twitter is such a great
success...<http://jansegers.tumblr.com/post/32407612/why-twitter-is-such-a-great-success><http://jansegers.tumblr.com/post/32407612/why-twitter-is-such-a-great-success>
http://jansegers.tumblr.com/post/32407612/why-twitter-is-such-a-great-success

But indeed: Twitter can be used in as many ways as language can be used.

The intentions of any speaker or writer can be different from the
acknowledged ones...

Irony, sarcasm, lies, even mythomania, all these are possible on twitter.

Pieter Jansegers
http://twitter.com/jansegers