While living in San Francisco for a few years, I've used the Trip
Planner site to figure out the best route for my needs (you can
select the route by "fastest trip", "fewest transfers", or
"least walking" options).

SF Bay Area Trip Planner:
http://tripplanner.transit.511.org

When I knew my route, I would use the NextBus site to check the real
time arrivals for various municipal transit systems.

SF NextBus:
http://www.nextbus.com/

There are always some kinks to work out, but for the most part, it
has helped me traverse the city without the use of a car.