I disagree with #5. Picking controls is VERY important. Why just today
I had to fill in a form to get my flumist inoculation. The last item
on the list was:

The Cost is $25.
Cash_______
Check______

Elsewhere on the form I had this option:

Male [_] or Female [_]

So what was I supposed to fill in? Was I supposed to check one? Was I
supposed to write two numbers, like Cash $15, Check $10? Was I
supposed to write in the Check number... and if so, what if it was
Cash?

I'd say any book worth its salt about form design would answer this
question for an online form, and thus a paper one.

Will