Hi, Brian.  I think this is an interesting angle for a class and definitely
worthwhile.  I've worked with almost all these CMS tools fairly extensively and
have actually learned a fair amount about UX (what to do or NOT to do) from
them.  I've never articulated the question so clearly as you have, but you made
me realize I'd been thinking about the answer for some time now.  In short, I
think CMS is one of the best focus groups for a UX study if only because the
various programs are so widely and fundamentally varied in their approaches to
(more or less) the same concept (word processors, by comparison, tend to be
more or less the same).

To start with, it's a great discussion on usability vs. features and whether
features themselves are an element of good UX design.  The best comparison here
is probably Drupal vs. Joomla.

Drupal was (in my opinion, whatever may have been stated on drupal.org) created
by and for php developers and its paradigm and logic reflects these roots.  I
think Drupal's UX made sense if you placed a high priority on maximum
flexibility and unlimited features.  It also helped if you could think like a
php developer, but the point here is that one of the core values of Drupal was
being able to do anything with it.  That IS the user story and so that is part
of the UX scope, even if the interface itself doesn't always (or hardly ever)
make sense to those who expect things to work like MS Office (not to say that
Office is limited, just that it goes about things a certain way).  For those
people (which is most of the population), Drupal's UX is a nightmare, though it
has certainly improved in the last couple years thanks to a very active
community (and probably because of the new expectations that Joomla
introduced).  I have always loved Drupal because I tend to start with kno
 wing what site I want to create and then finding a way to make that site,
whatever it may consist of.  Drupal allows for this and therefore my interface
with the program is secondary to the ability to the tangible realization of my
genius (ha!).

Joomla is at almost the complete opposite end of the spectrum.  I personally
found it incredible confusing because, again, I had an idea of what I wanted to
create and Joomla just wasn't able to do that.  Once I flipped my expectations
around, though, I immediately found why so many people loved it.  Joomla has
placed a heavy emphasis on usability in the sense of what we normally discuss
on this IxDA list: how people interact with the product.  Once you understand
the flow (Section > Category > Page > Menu Item), it's pretty simple and lots
of people with very little tech knowledge are either creating new websites with
it or are suddenly able to sell their services as 'web designers'.  For Joomla,
though, interaction trumps features.  It works as long as you go in willing to
create the sort of site that Joomla can create (which is why I had a tough time
at first).  The creators of Joomla, it seems, sat down and thought through what
most users really needed to accomplish and m
 ade that part of the UX requirements.

So here you've got a great discussion, with the two most popular CMS apps as
case studies, of what makes for good UX design.  Is it allowing the user to
accomplish their goal or is it the interface along the way?  As my voice coach
used to ask (talking about training for opera, of course), are we after process
or product?  Ideally, of course, it's both, but we almost always tend to lean
one way or the other.

There are lots of other ways that Content Managers can be used as a lens
through which to view UX practices, but hopefully that helps to move the
conversation along.

Sterling Koch