I've found a Wacom tablet and pen to be a great tool simply because
you have 'pressure' control when drawing interface elements which
you don't have with a mouse.

Also, from a personal point of view, it has always been nice to use
both; I'm left handed so I draw with my left hand with the pen, and
then quickly do lots of conventional mouse actions with the mous in
my right handm - at the same time, like tooled up commando.

That being said, I think it's a personal choice; I wouldn't force a
pen and tablet on a designer if they weren't comfortable using it.