Harry, I think your first instinct that RSS makes it a waste of time
is on target. I live through Google Reader.

What WOULD be interesting is "vetting" feeds and articles that I
don't subscribe to. A "digg" for interaction design might be more
interesting. ONe of the features I love in Google Reader is the
"Friends' share list" I see the items that people decide to add to
their "share" feed directly in my feed. I learn so much from that.

On a separate note, I've heard a couple of times this year (so not
that many people) that some people are leaving RSS and just using
twitter. I.e. if it is suggested on twitter than it is OK to look at,
otherwise the blog universe is just way too big to manage (so they
say).

Anyway, it just goes to demonstrate how personal information
management really is.