Andy: "You mean I should drop my PhD? ;-) "

It (sometimes) doesn't help much!
See the post by Rich Rogan http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=30388

Back to the initial point: the important thing is that if you are
having a medical emergency, then you want someone with at least a
base medical training to be there - a set of common skills and
understandings about how the body functions and how it can be put
right when it goes wrong.

I guess there are two problems: 1) which skills and knowledge
comprise this field; and 2) how can we get people outside of us to
agree on what skills and knowledge are required so that they don't
start making the main criteria as "must have 5  years C   GUI
experience"

I get the impression that the community is quite happy to deal with
skills rather than roles but this often falls over when recruiters
are being dealt with. Quite often, they need a nice single title to
summarise everything because they deal with so many different roles.
Stepping outside of the norm can cause serious problems in getting
jobs if you're not perceived as a guru (just talking from my own
experience here - I sincerely hope other people's is better)

Well, we're supposed to be experts in people's experiences - why
don't we find out how we really are perceived in the wider world so
we can address any discrepancies?