We discussed this very issue in my department recently.

We decided that it's a balance between security and usability. What
typical user wants to have a password 10chars  long with a capital
and a special character? A short list:

1. Someone going to their banking site
2. Someone accessing tax and other sensitive, identity theft prone
info
3. Someone checking their credit card balance

Etc.

Cases where password strength is less important:

1. Forums
2. Blogs
3. Non-sensitive, non personal information sites/areas

So you just have to weigh the situation objectively; how sensitive is
the information vs. how many times do you want users requesting their
forgotten password? :)

I agree that visual feedback for the password as it's entered is a
fantastic way to ease a user's frustration:

http://ui-patterns.com/pattern/PasswordStrengthMeter

P.S. Your Dev team should worry more about sql injection attacks and
denial of service rather than having super-secure passwords.