I created a paper prototype that was fun testing on local users but
when it got to testing remote users I thought perhaps I'd try to
create an online prototype. I started with PowerPoint but found the
macros deficient and a couple of things I wanted to do I couldn't. I
then ordered Effective Prototyping with Excel by Bergen et al,
expecting that their prototypes would involve some basic coding but
found they didn't. A programming colleague showed me a couple of
very basic code statements in Excel and I realised that with the
Control Toolbox widgets, .Visible = True and .Visible = False
statements, a couple of If statements, a little googling and a little
recording of macros to figure out some code, I could create a pretty
workable prototype, albeit only able to handle very specific use
cases.

I would appreciate responses on:
* the value of this type of prototype
* whether it is possible to have more control over formatting of the
Control Toolbox widgets, or, alternatively substitute the Forms
toolbar widgets which are more formattable
* other "bits of code" that non-coders can add to the repertoire
* ways of making the prototype more like a real prototype, that is,
not totally use case dependent, without going into real coding
territory
* any other suggestions

http://excelprototyping.weebly.com