I agree with you about the importance of language in user experience
design. An understanding of semiotics and related aspects of
information theory support the creation of interactive access points
that most closely mirror the intentions of the largest or more most
valuable segments of users of a given web site.

Some aspects of user experience design that are better supported by
sciences such as ethnography, market research, web analytics, etc.,
include such things as task modeling, competitive differentiation,
and perceived utility. If the words are optimal, but we have users
step through processes that don't mirror the mental image they have
of those processes, or are not intuitive in terms of a mental leap to
a new process, then in studies we've conducted they clearly get
confused and abandon the experience.

Also, we can create a system with optimum words and images, but if
users don't perceive that they will benefit more from using this
system than other available options (like calling HR or stopping at
the mall after work), then they will not even start the experience.

For this reason, user experience designers need to rely on many
branches of social science, including semiotics, to achieve optimal,
measurable results.

Paul Bryan
Principal Consultant, Usography Corporation