Hi Soren --

I have an MA in English Literature.  I see a lot of parallels myself.
For example, the Communication Triangle described by Kinneavy in a
Theory of Discourse is concept that (to me) really applies to usability.

I really think the issue is that most usability folks are NOT really
tuned into the communications field.  And, I think an argument could be
made that the communications field has started to take some steps.  For
example, the Society for Technical Communication has a SIG on Usability.

I see a lot of parallels:

- Personas
- Storytelling
- Patterns
- Metaphors

Am I talking about thinking about communication theory, studying a
novel, working on a web design, or doing a usability project?  The
answer is, of course:

"It depends." (This is really saying....CONTEXT).

For me, I have always thought it would be interesting to use some ways
to analyze a work of fiction, but apply it to the design and usability
field:

- Post-colonialism (think social media here)
- Bibliographic codes (building components over time--ex: shopping cart)
- Historical context (ex: social media, iPhone, Google)
- Post-modernism (ex: gaming theory, emotional design, making meaning)
- Themes and motifs (ex: design patterns)
- Freudian (ex: Gestalt principles, anyone)

I do think there are a lot of connections to be explored.  I do not
think people are making the connection because there are few people out
there with the background in both areas.

Finally, I would also say that usability and web design can also be
considered part of the creative process.  Buffalo State University has a
wonderful program teaching Creative Problem Solving (CPS) method.  I see
a lot of parallels in the early design process with this method, too.

Stake a claim.  Make a name for yourself.  Make that connection.

Thanks,
Brian