On Mike's note: I have found that a system's behavior can be modeled
in two ways. For engineers, there is the UML Activity Diagram, which
is what the first link refers to. And then there is Garrett's
Information Architecture/Navigation Map/UI flow diagram. They look
deceptively similar because they share some (not all) of the same
elements, but I've found I get the best results when I keep these
two things separate, since they need to emphasize different things
for different audiences.

So, as is said, "it's best to target the communication method to
fit the needs of the intended audience". Is this a specification for
an engineer to code the system, or beginning point of sketching and
designing the UI screens? Both are valid, but deserve a different
approach.