On 21 Aug 2009, at 08:46, Francis Norton wrote:

Hi,
I have many years of programming and technical communication and I'm
currently learning Interaction Design on an Open University course (
http://is.gd/2rpHx) which ends in October.

Because we all have to prioritise our time, I'd be interested in your
opinions about which of the following interests might best help me make the
transition into interesting IxD work:

  - Building executable wireframes in JQuery or Silverlight - I'm a
  competent programmer with skills in .Net, JScript and XML
- Analytics - I'm not a statistician but I do know the difference between linear regression and a chi-squared test (and I know which I'd use for A/B
  testing or test-and-learn)
  - Physical computing - I am itching to do some Arduino
- Narrative - I have done - and loved - improvised drama and I'll shortly
  be filling this in with a two-day course in story-telling

Define "interesting IxD work" :-) What do you find interesting?

If I have to pick one from the list I'd probably pick "narrative". It seems closest to dealing with people - and I have a soft spot for storytelling and stories as a way to talk about design.

As a somebody who has spent a lot of time (and still does) doing development I can understand the fascination of the prototype building and analytics (and the Arduino too - I _so_ want to have the spare time to play with them :-)

They'd all be useful skills for somebody doing interaction design work. Along with a whole bunch of others things of course.

I think the biggest thing that will help you, which is only implicitly on the list, is actually doing design. Right from finding somebody with a problem to having a prototype product in a real persons hands and watching them use it.

Then you'll see what you did horribly wrong. Then you can go get better at that bit. Getting better at the things you're terrible at will make you a better designer. Being better designer will get you more interesting work.

For me, and this may not be true for you of course, the people side was the biggest problem when I started getting involved with UX work. I was fairly good at solving a problem. Quite bad at picking the right problem to solve. Very bad at working with folk to figure out what the right problem was, or where I had gone wrong.

Once I'd figured that out I spent some time working at usability testing, facilitation, reading up on ethnographic stuff, talking to customer support and technical communicators, etc. That all helped. I'm less terrible at those things now (which of course just highlights the other things I'm still terrible at :-)

Of course - if you can find somebody with a nice problem that you could solve by spending some time playing with some Arduino - that's just gravy!

Cheers,

Adrian
--
http://quietstars.com  -  twitter.com/adrianh  -  delicious.com/adrianh