IxDA is pleased to announce it has again partnered with Mozilla
Labs<http://labs.mozilla.com/>and Johnny
Holland <http://johnnyholland.org/> for this Fall's Mozilla Design
Challenge<http://bit.ly/148VEG>
:

*"Visualizing your browser data - How can we provide intuitive and useful
visual representations of your browser data (such as bookmarks, history,
tabs, stored credentials etc.) on a web page?"*

http://bit.ly/148VEG

>From the site:
Welcome The Mozilla Labs <http://labs.mozilla.com/> Design Challenge is a
series of events to encourage innovation, and experimentation in user
interface design for the Web. Our aim is to provoke thought, facilitate
discussion, and inspire future design directions for Firefox, the Mozilla
project, and the Web as a whole.
[more<http://labs.mozilla.com/2009/01/introducing-the-design-challenge/>
]Once again we teamed up with the wonderful folks at
IxDA<http://www.ixda.org/>,
a network dedicated to the professional practice of Interaction Design
and Johnny
Holland <http://www.johnnyholland.org/>, an open collective, talking,
sharing and finding answers about all aspects of interaction design and
invite the wider community to join us in this challenge, develop concepts
and submit them to our site.The Brief

For this Design Challenge, we are looking for innovative solutions to answer
the question: *"Visualizing your browser data - How can we provide intuitive
and useful visual representations of your browser data (such as bookmarks,
history, tabs, stored credentials etc.) on a web page?"*

As we spend more time on the web, we accumulate more data. We bookmark sites
we like, we create accounts on various social networks, we have multiple
tabs open as we follow wikipedia loops and so on. We are also browsing the
web from multiple devices, on the go.

This presents some unique challenges that end up fragmenting our browsing
experience. We aren't able to successfully take our entire browsing
experience with us, suspend and resume where we left off as we may with our
Tivos.

The Mozilla Weave project helps address some of these issues by allowing you
to securely store and synchronize all of that magic - the bookmarks,
passwords, tabs etc - seamlessly as you go about your life. It does impose
one requirement though - access to Firefox.

As much as we love Firefox and want to see it everywhere, we also recognize
there may be valid everyday scenarios where that isn't practical - airport
kiosks, libraries, parts of Redmond, WA etc. That doesn't mean *you*, as a
Firefox user, should suffer.

We want you to have access to your important data, always, at your
fingertips, from anywhere. Since the web is ubiquitous, the simplest way we
could imagine making this possible is via a web page.

However, since we are talking about various types of data accumulated across
years, across multiple devices, we would love to get some fresh, creative
ideas on how to visually present this information.
How It Works

The program starts in the first week of September and runs for 10 weeks. The
Design Challenge is divided into two phases - each running for five weeks.

During the first phase we ask you to produce a concept, mockup and an
explanation of your thinking behind it. A mockup can be anything from a
low-fi sketch on a napkin to a high-fi video presenting your concept. The
Mozilla Labs Weave team will provide feedback to participants at two
check-in points in week three and four.

At the end of phase one the Weave team will select the most promising
concepts, which will move forward into phase two. In this phase you will
refine your mockup and turn it into an interactive HTML/CSS/JavaScript
prototype (don't worry - we can help you doing this!). During phase two the
Weave team will provide regular feedback, weekly check-ins and support via
email/irc.

Participants are encouraged to share their ideas, approach and progress on
their blogs - we will aggregate this information and provide a forum for
open discussion, ideation and exchange.

At the end of phase two the Weave team will again select the most promising
concepts and work with their respective creators on integrating them into
Weave.
Important Dates

   - *First week of September 2009* - Launch of Weave Web UI Design
   Challenge
   - *Last week of September 2009* - Selection of participants for phase 2
   - *First week of November 2009* - Program ends, the Weave team will
   select the most promising concepts and work with their creator on
   integrating them into the Weave product

Learn more & submit:  http://bit.ly/148VEG

Let us know if you're participating!
Janna DeVylder