As fantastic the iPhone is - design-wise, app-wise, user
interface-wise -- it is still not optimum for heavy texting and/or
email.  Ali, perhaps your friends were disappointed with having to
type on iPhone's touch key pad which does not give the same tactile
response as other smart phones.  I switched from a BlackBerry to the
iPhone about a year ago and I still prefer the BB's keyboard.  I
believe that Apple is looking into making typing a more tactile
experience (e.g., vibrating response to touch, replicate feel of
raised keys on touch screen, etc.) because of this deficit.

As for the 99% satisfaction score mentioned, that's an impressive
number for any technology.  But keep in mind, Apple designed the
iPhone with such an impressive emotional, experiential benefit built
in that users often forgive its functional deficits (e.g., still no
MMS as promised in the US: http://bit.ly/z6Ahv).  That's an
important lesson for their competitors.

Ali, a polite suggestion: next time you post you may want to do some
research first among your friends as to why they decided to change
and the basis of their "complaints."   I think the trade-off of a
smart phone's appeal vs. it's deficits is a fascinating area of
discussion, especially when you consider how the "emotional"
benefits can outweigh the functional ones.