Hey Dan,

I've been thinking about this a bit recently, and I have come to a
conclusion: Not all features are created equal.

By this I mean that there are some features that add to the functionality
and/or usability of a product *without getting in the way*, and ones that *do
get in the way* while adding something.

An example of the former (I think there are enough examples of the latter
already...). My old Sansa MP3 player can play video. So can my newer iPod
Nano. With the Sansa, if you stop watching a video in the middle and then
come back to it later, you have to start from the beginning and cue thru to
find where you were. The iPod remembers where you were. It even "rewinds" by
a few seconds to let you reorient yourself. This is a feature. But it's not
one that takes up "space" (i.e., where you have to add a new menu item or
whatever).

So I think that if we are talking about prioritizing features, it is worth
bearing in mind each feature's "cost" in terms of interface "space",
vis-a-vis the benefit that the feature provides.

I hope this makes sense :)

Cheers,

Martin Polley
Technical writer, interaction designer