Personally, I tend to get really irritated when a site tries to force
behavior on me like that. If I want to keep their page open and
follow the link in a new window or tab, I'll do that. Otherwise,
stop cluttering up my desktop.

I generally try to avoid impressing my personal preference onto
users, but this is one case where I simply cannot. That said, since
it is always possible for a user to open a page in a new tab or
window but not possible to suppress this behavior if they don't want
it, I think avoiding "target=_blank" is the better way to go anyway.