Nice discussion. It made me think.

Norman says that innovation cannot come from design research. It seems that
for him invention and innovation are the same thing. They are pretty close,
yet Nussbaum is right by saying that "Invention has to have socio-economic
value to become innovation."

We cannot have innovation without technology. Can we have innovation without
design? We need design thinking to use the technology in a way that will
make sense to people; that is, to transform the invention into an
innovation.

Innovation may come from an old technology. Design research probably cannot
lead us to a technological invention; however, it can help us find
innovative ways of applying an existing technology. If we know how people
behave and what they need, we might be able to use the technology to match
their behavior (even modify it) or to satisfy their needs (and create new
needs).

Sometimes needs come after the technology, but in other cases, the needs
exist, and there is no technology to satisfy them. I want to be able to go
back a few years and do something the right way. I need to talk to my
deceased father. I cannot do these things, the technology does not exist,
yet I want and need to be able to do them.

Design can be applied before the technology even exists. Technology is a
technical means of being able to do something. When the means does not
exist, we simply assume the technology and design tools and ways of using
it.

Norman asks for counter-examples. It is hard to find them in the past. What
about the future? Think science fiction.

Various writers have described in detail time travel and ways of
communicating with previous generations. We do not have the technology, but
we already have various designs that demonstrate how these can be used.

Do we need to be able to cure cancer? Yes. Do we have the technology? No.
Are there people looking for the technology? Yes. Will we invent the
technology? I hope so. Will it be a medicine? Not necessarily.

Do we really need to cure cancer? Or maybe we just need to have the people
we care about around us? Research would show. The solution to cancer could
be a technology for regenerating human organs and bodies, or a technology
for storing the human mind and soul on a computer, or something else.

We can imagine these technologies and design the interactions. Technology
people may then find some insight in our designs (sci-fi books) and invent
technologies that make these interactions possible.

Has anything like this happened before?

Happy new 2010!

Dimiter Simov
Lucrat Ltd. www.lucrat.net