We haven't mentioned context!

ATMs and some mobile apps use PINs, because they have more limited input
methods. Entering a secure, 10 digit password is tough without a full
keyboard. The 9 digit keypad provides a simple and accessible method of
entry, but we have to secure the PIN by adding additional layers of
security, such as swiping the card.

With a keyboard, however, we use the full range of characters and create
much stronger passwords, removing the need for additional layers.

- Loren

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM, j. eric townsend <j...@flatline.net> wrote:

> PINs aren't actually that secure.   They can be easily compromised in all
> sorts of ways, do a search for "ATM pin vulnerability" or "ATM pin theft"
> for gory details.
>
> --
> J. E. 'jet' Townsend, IDSA
> Designer, Fabricator, Hacker
> design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net;  HF: KG6ZVQ
> PGP: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8

Loren Baxter
blog: http://acleandesign.com
business: http://engagebig.com
t: @lorenbaxter