Christine,

I agree with what you say and I did not think that aspect through
enough when posting. I subscribe to everything that you say;
additionally, I like the research that says that our language affects
our thinking, and that it has been proven that the thought patterns of
different languages are different. Even though language is supposed to
be value-neutral, it does affect thinking.

One of the most important values attributed to usability that I know
of, is that it is generally meant to improve human condition in the
widest sense. That is precisely what made me respond to the initial
post. If companies are doing a good job with improving human
condition with their products, and using these products to accomplish
their possibly malicious business objectives, then in my view it is
not right to make the products "less usable" and thereby make the
human condition worse than it could be. Instead, the response should
be to scrutinize the businesses on the other, "backend" side, to
make sure that they do not abuse their power.