Hugh,

I think part of the issue is where you come from. Very few of the IA/ Ixd's I have worked with have a background or undergrad in design. There are a lot reasons to move into the interactive field, and that often occurs after the undrgrad work and in fact after some real world eye opening work. That has been a very powerful and successful pattern in our field.

The GSSC as you called it is a sometimes slow moving, but very big stage to work on. It that floats your boat it is out there. There are also plenty of start ups and small shops, agencies and even academia. As with any purchase (and grad school should be handled as a very large purchase) you should evaluate what you get out of it both financially and otherwise. The demand is very hot for well trained and smart interaction folks that can land at a desk and be productive in a short time.

Like Dave M says in another message on this post... you can get a lot, if not all of this stuff working in the rights spot or company, but not as intense or as quickly - and without the paper.

Mark