I'm seeing these with increasing frequency in the footers and
headers. I think Facebook started the trend. I think the banner
blindness research still holds true here.

A really good example I've used in the past to talk people out of
implementing such functionality are the header messages that show up
in Internet Explorer. You keep wondering why the page won't load
right, and just when you've reached your frustration threshold, you
see that there is a message asking if you want to install an active x
control.

These things aren't very visible and usually indicate functionality
that should be integrated in a different fashion.