Hi Yvonne,

It depends on the features of the CMS, your understanding of the way
skinning works and how much control you have over the interaction
design.

>From your stated experience as a web/graphic designer I'll assume
that you can produce the visuals but need to plan the way you'll
present and explain the interface interaction components for the CMS.

The time frame worries me. I've found that most custom CMS jobs I do
are about 3 X the work required for reasonably involved print graphics
or campaign sites (as an example) because of the complexity and design
decisions that will be made along the way.

If you have used the CMS before and know what it does, how it can be
skinned and to what degree it can be customised, then you needn't
change you methods all that much, apart from allowing a little extra
time to also present extra visuals that show how a User will navigate
around the site.

I've come from a similar background and I found that when you are
dealing with the AI and UXD as well as the visuals you may need to:

* Modify the timeline for delivery (3 X longer),
* Produce more iterations of your design as you go (3 X more)

The graphic design part of the job is a start, so yes, three designs
are still a good starting point, but they also have to be underpinned
by the user interface/accessibility problems presented to you. You
have to show the customer the design problems before you provide a
solution for them.

Now if you want a more customised CMS that requires you to create a
custom template (or skin), that adds some extra steps and added time
and effort.

Remember you will probably be presenting grids and layouts of each
TYPE of page the User may see in each of your 3 designs (so, yes,
about 3 X more!) and you will need to be able to demonstrate visually
the way the interaction works.

I find that the best way is to create your visuals in Illustrator or
Photoshop as usual and then do layer variations around a base design
and then simply insert them into a PowerPoint or a PDF file and use
the smarts in Acrobat or PowerPoint to add pseudo interactions -
clicks and effects.

Now the big problem you may have is in the level of your own
technical knowledge of how the CMS you will be using works. Make sure
you don't propose a solution that requires an unknown amount of
custom coding. Good front-end developers are hard to find and are not
cheap. If you can code CSS, XHTML or know your way around any of the
JavaScript frameworks you may be in luck, otherwise find a coder who
has the skills and run your ideas past them before you show a client.
They will give you a reality check that will allow you to answer the
customer's questions about cost and timeframe with confidence.

To make sure the customer gets the need for the extra time to do the
job properly, reinforce the quality of thought in your work to them
so that they will respect your effort - and extend your deadlines so
you can produce good quality work!

Good luck

Stephen Holmes

Stephen Holmes
UX/IA
Canberra, ACT, Australia

"When you plant a tree, never plant only one. Plant three -- one for
shade, one for fruit, and one for beauty."
-African proverb