Based on my experience adding additional branches becomes a nightmare to
maintain overtime and we will eventually discover that patches are missing
from the different branches (and usually the patches that mater to us :-).
The topic of the master being a wild west should be addressed with proper
gating jobs and accountability of the community to what they push in.

My 2 cents.

Thanks.