-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gary Sherman
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 6:50 PM
To: OSGeo Discussions
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Board Election Results

What purpose is served by displaying the results in this way? I see
absolutely no benefit, other than to create an ad-hoc popularity
contest to see who beat out whom.

What lessons can be learned from having the tally known? How can it
benefit
OSGeo in future elections? Will it deter people from running in the
future?

The votes were not posted publicly, we know who won, leave it at that.

If the final tally by person is made public, will we next ask to see
how each charter member voted?

This is beyond openness.

-gary

(Yes I was a candidate, yes I was not elected, no this has nothing to
do with my position on this issue)

On Aug 9, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> P Kishor wrote:
>> In the spirit of openness, it would be worthwhile seeing where the
>> charter members thought it best to cast their votes. While
>> embarrassment is a possible consequence, I believe if I were running
>> for a Board member, and if I lost, I would still like to see the
>> votes... I am not interested in seeing who voted for who... I am more
>> interested in seeing the voting pattern as a reflection of the
>> pattern
>> of interest, awareness, and even a need for doing more.
>
> Puneet (and Tamas, Bart, ...)
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on this.  If someone would like to take
> this issue formally to the board I would encourage you to write up a
> position in the wiki and add it as a topic for the next board meeting
> agenda at:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Twenty_Eighth_Board_Meeting
>
> If so, I'd ask that you be available to speak on behalf of the issue
> for the next board meeting.  Alternatively, the topic could be
> discussed
> at the AGM at FOSS4G (planned for late on the Monday I believe).  I
> can't seem to find a wiki page about the AGM, though I think one
> exists.
>
> Of course, discussing here is fine too, but ultimately for action it
> is helpful for someone to "carry the ball".  I'm not going to be that
> person given a lack of enthusiasm about the idea.
>
> Best regards,
> --

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Gary Sherman
Chair, QGIS Project Steering Committee
Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
   *Geospatial Hosting
   *Web Site Hosting
"We work virtually everywhere"

Warning:
Information provided via electronic media is not guaranteed against defects
including translation and transmission errors. If the reader is not the
have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately.