There was an article in the NY Times last week about the Beacon River
Institute and IBM working to create a large array of real-time sensors
to monitor the Hudson River.  They talk about using the real-time data
to steer operational decisions and making the data available on the Web
as it is collected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/16/nyregion/16hudson.html

It sounds like RPI and other educational institutes are involved.

It would be cool to see some OpenSource Geospatial software/technology
used.  When I saw the article, I immediately thought that it might be a
great case to use/push/hone OGC sensor services.

David.