I love the idea of maintaining a suite of services as an integration showcase on an ongoing basis rather than as just a conference work item. This connects to the concept of a "demonstration stack" that we never really followed up on either. Basically to have a bunch of packages installed on a few centrally managed servers that demonstrate our packages, and also demonstrates how they
integrate.

If we set it up properly it should be practical to delivery a copy of the
demonstration stack to run on servers at the conference to avoid problems
with saturated links to the external network.

One obvious place to set up some of this demonstration stack / integration showcase would be one or a couple of telascience blades.

I don't think I'm presenting the killer application for the test bed but I would try to suggest our solutions for LiveCD [1].

Our latest Desktop LiveCD contains:
GRASS 6.2.2
QGIS 0.8.1
PostgreSQL 8.2.4
PostGIS 1.3.1
GDAL 1.4.2
Proj 4.5.0
R 2.4.1
PgAdmin 1.6.3

For GRASS and QGIS we had a direct contact from the community (IRC) to optimize the installation.

Our Customizations have been used for FOSS4G workshops in Lausanne and Victoria:
- GRASS3D 2006
- ka-Map 2006
- QGIS 2007
- ka-Map 2007
Customization offers the possibility to add desired data packages, tutorials and customize applications settings as you prefer. Ex: QGIS connectors are pre-configured to access your local PostGIS with data included, a double click on a SHP from a Pen Drive is automatically opened in QGIS, Firefox can show your home page as default one... It is possible to do localization, we'll try to produce a Japanese version of the Desktop CD for November (but we don't know how to check text is good!?!?).

we try to publish 2 main versions per year and we ask for a donation in case of customization. download rate is increasing continuously, donation are mainly for maintenance and bandwidth.

We hope to offer soon a Server version of the LiveCD to show all Web Apps and interoperability standards at work. Support of any kind is welcome.

We still think that LiveCD are useful for Educational purposes, that's why we go on with this project.

ciao
Lorenzo Becchi and Luca Casagrande
(ominoverde and doktoreas)

[1] http://livecd.ominiverdi.org