-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave McIlhagga
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:55 AM
To: OSGeo Discussions
Subject: Re: [Proj] RE: [OSGeo-Discuss] Brief history of GIS OSS(bit
offtopic?)

someone might be interested in getting this historical info into the
wikipedia entry for OSGeo - would also provide a good way for long
term maintenance and updating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgeo

Dave

On 21-Aug-08, at 11:41 AM, Steven M. Ottens wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In light of the EndOfLive announcement of Mapbuilder I have done
> some research on the history of mapbuilder:
>
> 29 september 2001 Mapbuilder-devel mailinglist created
> 28 july 2008 End Of Life announcement
>
> Regards
> Steven
>
> On Aug 21, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> Rafal Wawer wrote:
>>> Thank you Markus,
>>> I will teach FOSS4G upcoming days. The article appeared right on
>>> time  for me to include it in the references (-;
>>> Hopefully it will develop to cover most of the existing FOSS4G
>>> projects. A roadmap of FOSS4G projects?
>>
>> Rafal,
>>
>> Recently, I've been writing a small article about FOSS in GIS with
>> focus on Python applications and researched the history a bit. Here
>> is a list of dates I've identified:
>>
>> late 70's - begin of Map Overlay and Statistical System (MOSS)
>>
>> late 80's - US Army starts Geographic Resources Analysis Support
>> System (GRASS)
>>
>> 1998 - GDAL initial revision in CVS
>>
>> 2000 - GDAL gets Python support
>>
>> 2000 - Atlantis Scientific starts OpenEV
>>
>> 2000 - MapServer initial revision in CVS
>>
>> 2001 - OSSIM initial revision in CVS
>>
>> 2002 - Intevation starts Thuban projects
>>
>> 2002 - Quantum GIS initial revision in CVS
>>
>> 2002 - GEOS initial revision in CVS
>>
>> 2002 - MapServer gets Python support
>>
>> 2002 - AVPython for ArcView 3.x published as FOSS
>>
>> 2006 - MapBender gets first bits in CVS
>>
>> Certainly, only a small part of FOSS4G projects are listed.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> --
>> Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
>> Charter Member of OSGeo, http://osgeo.org

Warning:
Information provided via electronic media is not guaranteed against defects
including translation and transmission errors. If the reader is not the
have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately.