Dear OSGeo community,

After attending FOSS4G last week, I wanted to share some thoughts. As much as I'd like to be a regular attendee, I am afraid that the conference is becoming too expensive. This year the early registration was more than $400 (for 2.5 days of conference; the tutorials were extra), and the least expensive hotels listed by the conference website were more than$100 a night (As a matter of fact, most of the hotels listed on the conference website were 4 stars or more!). Add the flight, and it ends up more than $2500. I am at a small university, and travel funds are limited. I imagine the situation is the same for many people in academia and external funding has become very hard to get.

On the other hand, FOSS4G is the only conference that unites FOSS GIS developers. I am wondering if anybody has the same concerns, and if anything can be done to keep the conference available to a wide audience. For e.g., have a regional conference; and/or split into several venues e.g. users/research/business/developers; have lower rates for academia and researchers.

-Laura

Laura Toma
Dept. of Computer Science
Bowdoin College