On 10/19/08, Daniel P. Ames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi folks.  As you all know, there is a growing interest in open source for
> Windows. Especially with Microsoft's release of its developer tools in free
> "express" editions and the availability of such tools as SharpDevelop and
> Mono.
>
>  MapWindow is .NET based and the bulk of our developers and users are
> strictly MS based.  I don't think this makes them any less human, it just
> says that their threshold for open source is set such that a $90 Windows
> operating system is considered acceptable but a $10000 GIS is not.
>
>  We had a great turnout at the MapWindow lab and worshop in South Africa and
> got lots of "hey it's great to see .NET open source GIS here" comments.  So,
> call us mudbloods, but it's an approach that we see has a huge added value
> for lots of folks.  Bottom line, if having Windows on some lab computers
> doesn't add a huge expense, then we'd hope that Windows based labs and/or
> workshops would be encouraged.
>
>  Indeed, consider the opportunities for demonstrating QGIS and GRASS and
> others on Windows to help convert Linux avoiders over to OSGeo.

I have no skin in this game, but I would second the above sentiment.
While "not free as in beer" should not be as much of a problem as "not
free as in speech," ignoring Windows is perilous and foolish. Because
of its lack of architecture diversity and its monolithic nature,
actually Windows can be a pretty good open source development platform
because one can actually get past dicking around with installing the
damn software and get to developing with it.