On Saturday, February 21, 2009 the California Chapter held its first
annual meeting in Davis, California. We had 10 people in attendance. (I
want to thank Alex Mandel and the other people at UC Davis for setting
up the meeting and hosting it.)

I wanted to share two (2) things that developed during the meeting with
everyone on the discuss list, since the ideas might be used by other
local chapters.

We talked about putting together a list of chapter members that would be
willing to serve as outreach speakers to other professional groups and
societies. You can view this list (which is just starting) on this wiki
page: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/California/Outreach_Speakers

We also decided the chapter would give an annual award to a public
agency or other organization in California that we wanted to recognize
for efforts to promote free and open access to California geodata. This
idea is still taking shape, but I think the final award will be a framed
certificate and letter. (Something that would look nice hanging on the
wall.) I hope to start the design of the letter and certificate soon, so
if others wanted to help, I'd appreciate that. The idea of the award is
to reward and encourage good geo data stewardship in California. You can
see the wiki page for the award here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/California/Geodata_Access_Award

Landon

Warning:
Information provided via electronic media is not guaranteed against defects
including translation and transmission errors. If the reader is not the
have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately.