Hey-

I'm hoping to hear some discussion that results in the creation of guidelines for new, pre-incubation projects wishing to assign copyright to OSGeo.

Ideally, these guidelines would be as simple as:
1) Follow instructions for becoming a "labs" project http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Labs 2) Follow instructions on assigning copyright http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Copyright_Assignment

Both of the above pages would require some modification.

I'd suggest a section on the labs page about "becoming a labs project" (perhaps as simple as editing that wiki page).

On the copyright page, it would be nice if the preferred template replaced the old one and if there were some instruction on what to do with a signed agreement (e.g. mail to X).

Does this seem reasonable?

This has been brought up previously ([1], [2]). Previous suggestions have been "don't ask, just assign" and "ask existing project to accept governance." Since the former feels sleazy and the latter assumes some existing project is motivated to assist the new project, I'm hoping there can be something in between.

Also, since I don't pretend to understand all the implications of assigning copyright, I would accept "OSGeo doesn't encourage this" as an answer.

Thanks for any ideas (and I'm happy to help with drafting any guidelines).

Tim

[1] http://n2.nabble.com/copyright-question-td2088465.html
[2] http://n2.nabble.com/Starting-new-projects-under-OSGEO-td2083937.html

--