From: discuss-boun...@lists.osgeo.org
[mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Landon Blake
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:48 PM
To: OSGeo Discussions
Subject: [OSGeo-Discuss] Documenting GIS Data Models (Again): Using DXF

I posted a few weeks back I posted about possible ways to document and share
GIS data models. I decided to move forward with a graphical approach.

I started building diagrams to document my GIS data model for the Public
Land Survey System in the United States. I am drawing these diagrams in a
CAD program. When I get things ironed out I hope to release the following
items to the GIS community:

-     My completed GIS data model in DXF format that can be used as an
example or template for other models.

-     A set of CAD "blocks" that can be used to build similar diagrams.

If I like how things come together with the diagrams, I might try converting
the diagrams to SVG. The diagrams would be much prettier in SVG, but I am
quicker with CAD than I am with Inkscape, and I want to get a prototype
completed quickly.

This will make a lot more sense when you get to see the example diagrams.

I welcome any collaboration on this effort. If there is interest, I could
move this discussion to the Standards mailing list. It would be great to get
input from interested parties now, while the diagrams are still taking
shape.

Landon

Warning:
Information provided via electronic media is not guaranteed against defects
including translation and transmission errors. If the reader is not the
have received this information in error, please notify the sender
immediately.