On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

Hi everyone, a recent chat I was asked about our vision for OSGeo over
the next 3 and 5 years. I'd really like to hear thoughts on the matter
and pool a few of the ideas together for further discussions amongst
committees, projects, chapters and the board.

It's also a good way for the board nominees in the upcoming election to
get a sense of where other members are thinking these days.

My measurement of success for OSGeo and priorities I hope it shares in the next 3-5 years are the following three items: - Continued expansion of the local chapters. Local chapters make OSGeo real in the sense that mailing lists, websites, and an IRC channel can't. - The conference continues uninterrupted for the next five years, and we start to use it our central fundraising piece. - Cross-project collaboration, like the journal, osgeo4w, metacrs, benchmarking, system administration, and geodata continues to be fostered by us. From my biased developer's perspective, these have been OSGeo's biggest accomplishments along with the local chapter development and consolidation of the conference.

Howard