Tom Kralidis and I also worked on a WFS implementation of an OWS resources catalog some time ago for the CGDI: http://atlas.gc.ca/cgi-bin/owscatwfs?service=WFS&request=GetCapabilities

where
service_endpoints: are actual service instances
service_resources: are layers and feature types parsed out of the capabilities documents harvested.

and the geometry for those feature types is the area covered by the services (with too many -180,180 services).

That way you could do a geographic query for layers/feature types using a WFS query mechanism.

Mike

Tim Schaub wrote:
Hey-

pere roca ristol wrote:
  hi all,
there was a nice site (wms-sites.com <http://wms-sites.com>) that I enjoyed very much because you could do thematic searches of avaible WMS, getting back a RSS feed that can be parsed and so on. the site has disappeared and I wonder if someone knows something or similar sites... I just know the list below, but they don't provide RSS.

I put wms-sites.com together a few years ago. It was running on a pretty outdated setup, and the hosting company I used went out of business, so I let it come to an end.

I've started on an updated replacement. I kept all the catalog entries and will populate the new service with these when I get it running.

I'll also take a look at http://ows-search-engine.appspot.com/ (I'm not getting any response right now). My current work is also an appengine solution - so perhaps there is room for collaboration.

I'll post here when I have something interesting to look at.

Tim

  thanks,
  Pere

Explore our planet: http://exploreourpla.net/gis/maps/