Hey-

I'm interested making simpler the process of collecting & maintaining contributor agreements. Specifically in the case where a project wishes to have contributors transfer copyright to OSGeo.

I recently had the pleasure of "signing" an agreement (copyright assignment) digitally. I know the rules for what is acceptable probably vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Does anybody know where a digital signature suffices?

Currently, I think the process is that the PSC is responsible for collecting agreements from contributors. The PSC then sends these agreements to the OSGeo Secretary. The OSGeo Secretary maintains the agreements. Not sure how this is working out.

I wonder if something simpler would be possible.

Sample copyright assignment form:
http://tinyurl.com/copyright-assignment

And the records:
http://tinyurl.com/assignments-on-file

Anybody know if this could be made legitimate? Would OSGeo be amenable to having things work this way? Is this a pipe dream?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Schaub