When I started organising the Italian Desktop comparison, I tried to
involve both the community of developers and users.

Regarding developers, you might remember an email asking the QGis and
gvSig for a first meeting in Sydney to which I got no answer. So
nothing happened from that side.
Also as much as I find the idea of people getting users of different
GIS cool, I think that might end in being too much efforth people
would like to put in.
Also note that all of the presenters came with the latest versions of
their software, straight out of the svn or even not yet in svn :) So
probably they all will want to show the latest thing they have on.

Regarding the user community, I got a couple of requests, but they
were more on what the GIS can do and not benchmarking or so. Most of
the people that contacted me were from public administrations that had
to think about migrating, so they would have loved to find a GIS that
could fullfill all their ArcView requirements. It came up to things
like: can I print A0?, can I do a table join?

Andrea