On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 16:26 +0100, Jo Walsh wrote:
> dear a...@osgeo,
>
> In sending this mail I'm following the protocol for letters of support
> coming from OSGeo:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Protocol_for_requesting_letter_of_support
>
> As you may have heard, there's a public consultation running in the UK
> on options for open licensing national mapping data maintained by
> Ordnance Survey.

Is everyone on this mailing list dead? Or asleep? How is it that no one
has responded to this inquiry yet? Have we not, at least some of us,
been agitating for the proposed outcome for years? Does this issue not,
at least in principle, affect us all? Have you all forgotten that "your
software is awesome, but it's useless -- without data"?

I want to go on record as being 100% in favor of OSGeo providing a
letter of support for this response to the OSGB consultation. The
principle of Open Public Data is completely in harmony with the ideals
and objectives of the OSGeo Foundation. This is a chance for us to see a
change for the better in Ordnance Survey policy, a change that will
serve as a signal example to other NMAs around the world.

*Please* simply respond to the previous email with at least a +1 or a
single word of support, if you'd like to see the OSGeo Board respond to
this request in the affirmative. *Please*, for the love of God, don't
let us as a community deserve to be ashamed of ourselves for our own
ungenerous apathy. According to the Board's protocol for such things,
you only have a few hours, so pipe up now, while you have the chance.

SDE