Peter,

Ok, this is all going to sound a bit "heavy" (to use your words), but in the
end you'll have a lot more flexibilty with the end toolset.

I would suggest loading the SHP file data into a Database, Mysql would work,
but POSTGIS would be better.  Then source that Spatial data via MapServer and
use in any of a number of image clients. I'm partial to GeoMoose, but
Openlayers would work too.

Looks like you are tracking farm field tractor locations, by entering things
into a Database from the start, over the long haul you'll be able to add in
things like temporal reporting as more and more data becomes available.  This
is where the up front heaviness will pay off.

bobb

>>> Peter <web...@pl.net> wrote:

Hi Guys and Girls,

After an embarrassingly protracted google session, im not doing so well. What i
need is to turn a shapefile (from a trimble device) into a png as part of a web
app.

Ideally it would be the simplist lightest tool/s that can do the job, bearing
in mind that im working in php/mysql.

I found a script which did the whole thing in php (jjfmapper) which functions
except development has stopped, and it doesnt support the version of shapefile
i have. (jjfmapper reports it to be type 768)

The GDAL/OGR library is reported to do conversions of shapefiles to mysql.
Would need to add on the png rendering using GD2.  Im sure i dont need to
reinvent that.

And theres something called mapserver which seems to be a complete service.
Sounds heavy.

The shapefile concerned contains a moderate number of simple polylines. Ideally
the end result would be a png, a world file, and/or going further, being able
to overlay the png over an aerial photo or png basemap.

If your'e interested a sample shapefile is here:

   http://www.zoneblue.org/files/BLK1_log.shp.zip

with the desired result here:

   http://www.zoneblue.org/files/BLK1_log.shp.jpg

Appreciate any pointers.