Bill,

Thanks for the ideas. I might try to do something with the viewshed idea in the future. It would need a LOT of computing to process all the road segments in a National dataset like Tiger.

But for now I would like to figure out the routing costs.

One idea I had was to compute the grade for a segment and then compute cost as:

cost = (time or distance) * scalefactor * max(abs(grade), 1.0)

This would have the effect of causing segments with a lot of grade to have a higher cost of traversal.

Or similarly, if you want to pick roads with a lot of elevation changes then use cost factor like:

cost = (time or distance) * scalefactor /
       abs(sum_elevation_changes_over_the_segment)

This would have the effect of decreasing the traversal cost for segments that have a lot of elevation changes.

These are pretty crude estimates and probably would need some fine tuning to get reasonable results.

Thanks,
  -Steve W