Charlie,

There are existing global databases of surface water boundaries, water quality, DEMs, etc. In some cases more than one. Those could be one starting point - license permitting. The other would of course be OSM itself, which already contains surface water features. Adding a possibility for all to add data like temperature, water level, water quality etc. would be interesting. I've seen such attempts, as far as I remember they have used Google maps or Bing maps. In fact, Microsoft may have been more active in this particular area.

Ari