Some Views:

Business initiatives and knack to push up OSGeo's reserves are for sure needed
among qualities..

But a Global vision for billions (not money but people) at the margins of the
developing world, makes it sustainable.

GIS Usage vs GIS Development (software), is different in different parts of the
world..
While coding for GIS development makes OSGeo tick with lots of enthusiasm, in
the Developed world (US Europe Japan and Australia)
much of the rest of the world (or > 70% approximately) who are financially weak
do not use FOSS4G tools, except for a few exceptions..

One of the main reasons is.. people just get the GIS software and dont spend
for it (piracy)
But it is only possible to translate GIS front ends to Local Languages (Freely)
using FOSS4G tools.
With this, all those who support FOSS4G tools wear the caps of social
reformers..

So those, would Be Directors of OSGeo.. please add more Global perspective.

Ravi Kumar