Milo-

A good point, and one that I did give some thought to.  But I think using the
international parent organization is the right choice in this case for these
reasons:

* There is already precedent for having OSGeo doing such letters of support and
memoranda of understanding (MOUs) for non-international issues.

* Local chapters are welcome  to add their support as well [hey, Landon!].

* This is an important US case; the US has a long history of open data and
public access, and [like it or not] policies of the US tend to influence other
nations.

-mpg