I agree - GRASS is awesome software - but for a beginner it's too steep of a learning curve. I scratch my head using it and I've been doing this for a while (granted not with Grass) but still. With what she is doing - QGIS should work fine....Mapserver/Geoserver is a bit of work but very doable. Especially with an OSGEO chapter somewhere in the vicinity - it's all good.

BTW - ArcGIS User for 20 years - QGIS is my new GIS love affair.

Randy

Randal Hale, GISP
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com