I second Jachym and Peter.

>Peter Baumann:
>
>HI all,
>
>As there is a request for Charter Members to chime in, here my 2 cents:
>
>The issue on hand is highlighting excellently the need for effective and
>efficient decision procedures based on mandates.
>OSGeo has but embarked on establishing these, currently discussions are driven
>more by gut feeling than by ordered bylaws and procedures. The fact that there
>are projects in incubation for 4.5 years [1] and still not done underlines this.
>
>A grassroots mindset is good for gathering people initially, but to exercise
>impact at large we need efficient, agreed decision structures. With some of the
>last posts I see that we are embarking in this direction, and I very much
>applaude to that.

Jachym Cepicky:
>>So, now
>> we are here, things are happening, we can finally talk to whole
>> community, because of this IMHO *is* important topic - two big
>> organisations are trying to find a way, how to cooperate in the future
>> for better free and open source software for geospatial! This is good.
>> If for nothing else, then for clarifying OSGeo's position.

on the horizon I see 3 (already worked on) tasks of the OSGeo foundation:

(a) service/infrastructure provider for foss4g projects,
(b) open minded community nucleus of foss4g spirit,
(c) business support for foss4g

as OSGeo is happily growing :-) and has reached a "critical" size, well reviewed structures are needed to work on all or some of these tasks, alone or in cooperation with other organisations ... let's find OSGeo's position.

best
Helmut

OSGeo: wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Hellik