Tom Roche Fri, 29 May 2015 18:37:09 -0400[0]
> Nature Physics commentary [Hey and Payne 2015[1]] claiming that ''[one] of
> the first scientists to recognize the need for reproducibility in
> computational science was the geophysicist Jon Claerbout. As early as 1990,
> he set a goal of reproducibility for all the (non-open-access) reports coming
> out of his Stanford Exploration Project[2], identifying reproducibility as 'a
> way of organizing computational research that allows both the author and the
> reader of a publication to verify the reported results'[3].''

My original post reversed the footnoted links, which are corrected (and DOIed)
below.

Tom Roche Fri, 29 May 2015 18:37:09 -0400[0]
> an ostensive/exemplary definition of ["spatial-science good-practice,"
> (SSGP)] should be both feasible and useful.

E.g., Hey and Payne 2015 cite ATLAS[4] and CMS[5] (from CERN LHC) and CASTEP[6]
(from a UK academic group) as examples of best-practice (e.g., most
open-science) particle-physics projects. What would be examples of
best-practice spatial-science projects?

NB: UK readers may find Hey and Payne 2015 especially interesting since much of
its content is UK-oriented (probably because Payne is at Cambridge). E.g.,

Hey and Payne 2015[1]
>> [UK 'community' software] projects are exemplified by the Collaborative
>> Computational Projects (CCPs) supported by a team at the Science and
>> Technology Facilities Council (STFC). The team assists universities in
>> developing, maintaining and distributing computer programs, and in promoting
>> the best computational methods. Each CCP focuses on a specific area of
>> research and they are funded by the UK Research Councils. There are probably
>> more than 1,000 individual researchers and research students supported by
>> the CCPs.

>> the [UK] Research Councils have also recently changed their policy on
>> software-development costs. In addition to providing support for the UK
>> Software Sustainability Institute, the Engineering and Physical Sciences
>> Research Council (EPSRC) now issues regular calls for proposals that are
>> focused purely on either developing new and innovative software--adding
>> novel functionality to existing software, or simply making widely used
>> software packages more efficient and/or robust[7]. The EPSRC also now offers
>> personal fellowships specifically for individuals who specialize in software
>> development.

HTH, Tom Roche <tom_ro...@pobox.com>

[0]: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-May/014272.html
[1]: Hey, T. and Payne, M.C., "Open science decoded," Nature Physics 11,
367–369 (2015) ; http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nphys3313
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Exploration_Project
[3]: http://sepwww.stanford.edu/data/media/public/sep//jon/repropreface.html
[4]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATLAS_experiment#Data_systems_and_analysis